- Center for Student Involvement Advisors Expectations
- Center for Student Involvement Student Organization Manual
- Association of Fraternity Advisors Home Page
Becoming a Fraternity or Sorority Advisor
Each of our fraternity and sorority chapters on campus works with a team of alumni and faculty/staff advisors, who are an integral part of the chapter and each member's experience. The roles and responsibilities of an advisor include:
- Attendance at regularly scheduled meetings when possible.
- Holding regular meetings with officers to discuss organizational goals, assist with the development of programs, discuss the financial status of the organization, etc.
- Serving as a sounding board for the organization.
- Ensuring that the officers or contact persons meet University requirements for involvement in student activities.
- Supporting the group and its members.
- Becoming familiar with the group's history and traditions, as well as the constitution and bylaws.
- Being knowledgeable about appropriate University policies.
- Recognizing the general financial condition of the organization and encouraging the maintenance of sound financial records.
- Monitoring the group's functions and encouraging all members of the group to fully participate, assume appropriate responsibility for group activities, and to maintain a balance between academic responsibilities and co-curricular involvement.
- Considering the impact of activities the group wishes to engage in.
- Intervening in conflicts between group members and/or officers.
- Providing continuity and stability as leadership changes.
- Contacting the Center for Student Involvement to discuss organizational problems, concerns, plans, and changes in organizational status.
- Signing all documents which require an advisor's approval.
- Providing honest feedback to group members and positive reinforcement for accomplishments.
- Sharing their experience and expertise when appropriate.
- Providing an “outside” view or perspective.
If you have an interest in becoming a fraternity or sorority advisor, please contact Dasha Harris, Coordinator for Fraternity and Sorority Life at email@example.com or at (330) 672-2480.
Important Dates for Faculty/Staff Advisors:
Thursday, October 6, 2016 - Faculty/Staff Advisor Brown Bag Lunch - 310C Kent Student Center, 12pm-1pm
Thursday, November 3, 2016 - Faculty/Staff Advisor Brown Bag Lunch - 310C Kent Student Center, 12pm-1pm
Important Dates for Chapter Advisors:
Wednesday, September 7, 2016 - Chapter Advisors Roundtable - 316 Kent Student Center, 6pm-8pm
Important Dates for ALL Advisors:
Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - Standards of Excellence Information Session - 304 Kent Student Center, 2pm-4pm
Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - Standards of Excellence Information Session - 304 Kent Student Center, 2pm-4pm
Tuesday, Novembe 15, 2016 - Standards of Excellence Information Session - 304 Kent Student Center, 2pm-4pm